Safe Holiday Lighting Tips
To ensure that your holiday season is safe from electrical hazards, follow these safety tips:
Before decorating, read and follow the manufacturers’ instructions for installation and maintenance of all decorative electrical products.
Indoors and out, use lights and other electrical decorations certified by a recognized independent testing laboratory, such as CSA, UL, or ETL.
Outdoors, use lights and other electrical decorations certified for outdoor use.
Carefully inspect each decoration before plugging into an outlet. Cracked, frayed, loose or bare wires, and loose connections may cause a serious electric shock or start a fire. Replace damaged items.
Always unplug an electrical decoration before replacing bulbs or fuses.
Don't mount or support light strings in any way that might damage the cord's insulation.
Never nail or staple light strings or extension cords.
Do not connect more than three light strings together.
Light strings with screw-in bulbs should have no more than 50 bulbs connected together.
Don't overload extension cords – they can overheat and start a fire. Keep all outdoor extension cords and light strings clear of snow and standing water, and well protected from weather.
Use caution when decorating near power lines. Contact with a high-voltage line could lead to electrocution.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree. The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and a person touching a branch could be electrocuted.
Don't allow children or pets to play with electrical decorations. Even small lights can produce a deadly electric shock if misused.
Turn off all electrical decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
Plug outdoor electric lights and decorations into circuits protected by ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs).
For more electrical safety information, visit www.electrical-safety.org http://www.esfi.org/cms/files/u1/HolidayLightingTips.pdf